Last Updated on November 22, 2020 by Sean B
In this post, we’re going to provide a brief introduction of what Autodesk is and then some detailed information about the Autodesk Virtual Agent, also called AVA. We’ll be digging into the most important and most used features of the Autodesk Virtual Agent in detail.
This is going to be a long article, so let’s get started.
What is Autodesk Virtual Agent?
Before we talk about Autodesk Virtual Agent or AVA AI Chatbot, let’s talk about what Autodesk is. Autodesk is a software company that helps businesses or individuals create 3-Dimensional elements and effects for various fields.
Whether you need to design a building, add a new feature to a vehicle, or are trying to build an app for smartphones, or create cool effects in a movie or video game, Autodesk software can be helpful in achieving your goals.
Now that you’re familiar with the primary purpose of the Autodesk software, let’s talk about the virtual agent.
The Launch of Autodesk Virtual Agent
The Autodesk Virtual Agent or AVA is a n AI virtual agent created in 2018 using the IBM Watson Conversation Service. The original version had an avatar designed by Soul Machines, shown above. AVA is based on a bi-racial actress from New Zealand Shushila Takao and the resemblance is amazing. Sadly, Autodesk is now using the simple cartoon (shown below) instead of the original version of AVA you see above.
AVA provides customer support to the users. It helps them with various problems related to Autodesk. Since launching the Autodesk Virtual Agent, the company has reduced resolution time from 38 hours to 5.4 minutes for most customer support issues.
Autodesk Virtual Agent Customer Support
Below, we’ve listed some of the problems that the Autodesk Virtual Agent solves for users. We’ve also included step-by-step instructions for the problem that the virtual agent will help you solve, if you go to the ava.autodesk.com.
While the virtual agent solves various problems for the users, we’ve only listed the ones that users encounter most often.
1. How to download Autodesk Products?
When you go to this section on ava.autodesk.com. (or any other section in this list) the virtual agent will greet you. It’ll say, “Hi, I’m AVA (Autodesk Virtual Agent).
Moving forward, there are two ways to download products on the Autodesk website.
If you know the product’s name or release year, you can type it in the input bar. One or more options will be displayed on your screen. Click on the one you want to download, then press on the down arrow icon (it represents downloading).
This is the first method for downloading Autodesk products. The second option isn’t much different, but if you’re having trouble downloading products with this method, the second one is worth a try.
This method is also good if you don’t know the name of the product. The process is pretty simple, on the website click on the downloadable products button on the menu bar at the top of the screen.
You’ll be shown the name of all the Autodesk’s downloadable products and you can find and download the one you want.
Sometimes, because of some errors, you won’t see your product through the first or the second method. Therefore, if you can’t find a product, it’s best to try both methods.
2. Get a Home Use License
Home use license gives the employees access to Autodesk at home for work related to office, business, personal education, and for training products with multi-user access.
To get a better understanding about the Home Use License, visit this page.
If you’d like to get a home use license, follow these steps.
- Go to Autodesk Virtual Agent.
- Click on the Get Home Use License option (it’s the third from both top and bottom).
- The bot will ask you whether you want to Request Home Use License or ask Questions About Home Use License Policy (click on the former option).
- The bot will ask you for your license serial number. If you don’t know whether you even have a serial number, go to the Product Information section in your Autodesk Account.
- See if you have the serial number. If you don’t have it, then you already have access to the Home Use License. If you have the serial number, give it to the bot and it’ll grant you the access.
3. Find Information about Autodesk Products
Finding information about an Autodesk product is pretty easy. Go to www.autodesk.com and type the name of the product in the search box.
The product you’re looking for and some similar products will be displayed on the page. Click on your product and all the info about that product will be available on the page.
If you don’t know the name of the product, then the method mentioned above isn’t the best option. Instead, you should click the All Products button at the left of the search box.
You’ll be shown a ton of products on your screen divided in 4 different categories. Their names are A, B-H, I-Q, R-Z. As you might have already guessed, products that have their name starting with B, H, and all the other letters between the two will be in the B-H section.
If you know the first letter of the product you’re finding, click on the section that has the letter. If you don’t know it, then you’ll have to go through all the products.
If you can’t find the product on the website or some specific information related to the product, you can contact an Autodesk Authorized Reseller in your area by clicking here.
4. Repair Corrupt AutoCAD files
An AutoCAD file (.dwg) can corrupt for various reasons. Below, we’ve listed all the issues and reasons, plus we’ve linked to articles that are providing in-depth solutions.
- The file doesn’t open.
- File opens, but there is an error.
- An error pop-up randomly during work.
- File hangs or crashes randomly.
- Slow performance while doing the work.
- Commands don’t work or they get delayed.
- Elements get deleted or their positioning changes.
- Size of the file increases automatically.
- Regen or display issue.
- There is a third-party software running within AutoCAD.
- The product wasn’t created by DWG or AutoCAD.
- AutoCAD stopped working while saving the file.
- Drawings have been used repeatedly for a long period.
- Network anomalies like transmission errors, latent writing, and etc.
- System RAM isn’t working properly.
- Storage media has degraded.
- Something is wrong with the operating system.
- If the file does not open click on this link.
- If the file opens but error occurs then click here.
- If the files hang or crash read this article.
- If the software is performing slow then click here.
- If the error message appears randomly read this one.
- If commands don’t work click here.
- If the file size increases automatically try these tips.
- For regen or display issues try these tips.
- If elements get deleted try this solution.
5. Get an Activation Code
The activation code allows you to get access to Autodesk without the internet connection. If your system (laptop, desktop, mobile, etc) is connected to the internet you don’t need the activation code.
The process for getting the activation code is quite simple. Just ask the Autodesk virtual agent to give you the activation code.
A start button will appear on your screen and the virtual agent will ask you to click it. When you click that button, a pop-up will appear telling you what we have stated above (about the internet connection).
You should click on the big blue button at the bottom right that says Get Started. If you’re not signed-in the virtual agent will ask you to sign in.
As soon as you sign in, you’ll get the activation code.
6. Product Key
The Autodesk virtual agent has made it pretty easy to find the product key. When you go to the virtual agent, it’ll tell you the 5 most common queries people have.
The 5th one on the list will be “Look Up Product Key.” Click on it, and the agent will ask you for the name and version (year) of the product.
A dark-grey version bar will appear at the bottom of the screen and you can type the details there. After you’ve given the details the bot needs, it’ll give you the product key instantly.
7. Previous Version License
Getting a license for the previous version of Autodesk software is also quite simple. All you have to do is go to Autodesk virtual agent and click on the Get Previous Version License button.
At first message, the virtual agent will notify you that the policies for the educational license are different. At the second message, it’ll ask you whether you want to request a previous version license or do you want to know the previous version policy.
If you want to become familiar with policies press the ‘previous version policy’ button and if you’ve already made your decision, then ask for the license.
The virtual agent will ask you to verify your account by typing in the serial number. If your account doesn’t have the serial number, you don’t need to request the license in the first place.
You can find out whether your account has the serial number, by following the method we mentioned earlier.
8. How to Download and Install products using Autodesk Virtual Agent?
Okay, you might be wondering why I would want to download products with Autodesk Virtual Agent when I can do it from the website. The reason is ease of use, or perhaps laziness.
We all can feel lazy from time to time, and reducing even a small amount of friction can make us take big actions. The Autodesk Virtual Agent does just that, it reduces friction by simplifying the process of finding the right product and downloading it.
The Autodesk Virtual Agent lets you download Autodesk products without logging into the Autodesk account.
Now that you know why it’s beneficial to download products from the virtual agent, let’s talk about how to do it.
To download products with Autodesk Virtual Agent is quite easy. You just have to take these 3 very simple steps.
- Open Autodesk Virtual Agent.
- Go to settings and enable the Download Autodesk Products option.
- Follow the on-screen instruction given by the virtual agent.
That’s it, you’ve successfully changed the settings of the virtual agent and you can download and install the products without logging into the Autodesk account.
A Note: If a product has multiple files save all of them in the same location. Once all the files are downloaded, open the first file (it’s name is 001 always) and it’ll automatically install all the files to C:\Autodesk.
A few installation tips:
- Log-in to the computer as the admin.
- Disable all your antivirus software programs.
- Turn off user Account Control (click here to know the process).
- Delete all the temporary files (click on this link to learn how).
That’s it, we’ve answered the most asked questions related to the AVA. But, we’re going to expand on the last section (Downloading and Installation) more.
We’ll talk about how to identify an installation failure point in the Setup.log file and the most common error related to installation: Some products failed to install.
Identifying Installation Failure Points
All the Autodesk software components (successful or failed) are located at the Setup.log file. Therefore, to identify the point of failure you’ll have to look inside the Setup.log file.
You can locate the Setup.log file by following these simple steps:
- Go to Run box (You can do it by pressing the Windows key + R simultaneously).
- Type in this command “%Temp%” and press on the OK button.
- Go to the view menu (it’s located at the top left) and press on Details.
- Sort the files by their date, so the most recently modified files appear at the top (you can do this by clicking on the Date Modified button).
- Type in Setup.log in the following format. [Product Name] Setup.log.
Example: [Autodesk Fusion 360] Setup.log.
Now that you’ve located the Setup.log let’s identify the point of failure.
Open the Setup.log file in a Notepad (or any other text editor) and you’ll find the failure pretty easily.
That’s because all points of failure are turned red in the text editor.
Solve all of them one by one and your problem will be solved.
We hope this point is crystal clear, so let’s talk about the other.
Error: Some Products Failed to Install
You can get this error for two reasons. Autodesk Software Components and Autodesk Software Prerequisites.
But no matter the reason by following the methods below you’ll get rid of this error.
Method 1. Reinstall the product. Use the installer that is already downloaded.
Method2. If you’re reading this step, then download the installer again but don’t run it yet.
- Use the Browser Download or Download Now method; these methods include the components that may solve the problem.
- Save all files of the product in the same location and double click on the file name 001.
Method 3. Identify the point of failure. We’ve covered the method earlier.
Method 4 & 5. Reinstall the failed Microsoft component and prerequisite.
You can identify which one needs to be reinstalled by going into the settings of the Autodesk Software installer.
4. If the Microsoft C++ library is removed it means the problem is with the component. You can reinstall it by following these steps.
5. If the .NET framework is removed it means the problem is with prerequisite. You can fix it by reading this article.
An Important Note: If you get this error “.NET 4.5 is not installed” then follow these instructions.
Method 6. Perform a clean reinstall. You can do this by following this link.
That’s it! We’ve covered everything you need to know about Autodesk Virtual Agent. AVA started out much more interesting to interact with than she is today. All of the background AI is still there, but the Avatar is gone, replaced by an unimaginative cartoon.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask us in the comments section and we’ll do our best to provide you with an answer.